Juris International Law Office, Pattaya Home Contact Us
Professional Law Office, PattayaThai Law ServicesLaw Firm Pattaya

Visa Services

Types of Thai visas available in Thailand

All persons, other than those in transit and citizens of certain countries, are required to obtain a visa in order to enter Thailand.

Foreign nationals who intend to remain in Thailand to work or conduct business must comply with visa requirements in addition to obtaining a work permit.

Nationals of most countries will, without having to apply for a visa from a Thai embassy or consulate in advance, be given a 30 day-visa when entering Thailand, except for those who are eligible for 90 day-visas. Nationals of countries who are entitled to the 30 day-visa may be requested by the immigration officials to produce an onward ticket to ensure that they will leave the Kingdom within 30 days.

The Immigration Act provides for several visa categories as follows:

» Tourist Visa
» Visitor Transit Visa
» Immigrant Visa
» Non Immigrant Visa
» Visa Rules and Durations
» One Stop Visa Service

Tourist Visa

Tourist visas are initially valid for 60 days and are renewed at the discretion of the Immigration Department. Renewals are normally granted for periods of up to 30 days at a time.

[ Back to Menu ]

Visitor Transit Visa

Aliens who have obtained a Transit Visa from a Thai embassy or consulate will be granted a 30-day stay in the Kingdom. Extensions of stay are normally granted for periods of 7 - 10 days.

Please Note: Transit, Visitor Transit and Tourist Visa holders are not authorized to work in Thailand.

[ Back to Menu ]

Immigrant Visa

The Non-Quota Immigrant category includes, inter alia, former residents who have lost resident status, but who have reapplied to resume their residency and who have been able to demonstrate a convincing reason to support the granting of this type of visa.

Members of the diplomatic or consular corps, aliens coming to perform their duties in Thailand with the approval of the Thai government, aliens performing their duties in Thailand under an agreement between the Thai government and a foreign government, heads of international organisations or agencies operating in Thailand as well as dependents of all the aforementioned persons, including private servants of members of the diplomatic corps, are exempted by the Act from the usual visa requirements.

[ Back to Menu ]

Non-Immigrant Visa

Aliens seeking a prolonged stay, or those coming to work in Thailand, should obtain Non-Immigrant visas for all family members prior to entering the Kingdom. There are several categories of Non-Immigrant visas which include, among others.

The advantages of a Non-Immigrant Visa include:

  • Entitlement of the holder to apply for a multiple re-entry visa to Thailand from the Immigration Division in Bangkok.
  • Subject to the regulations of the immigration authorities, entitlement of the holder to apply for permanent residence in Thailand.
  • Eligibility for issuance of a Work Permit to the visa holder.
  • Eligibility for temporary visa renewals while processing issuance of a long-term annual visa.

[ Back to Menu ]

Visa Rules and Durations

Aliens are advised to strictly adhere to the rules governing each visa category. They should report any changes of address or status to local police within 24 hours.

In addition, foreigners residing in Thailand for more than 90 consecutive days are required to register their address every 90 days with the Immigration Bureau. This requirement applies to all foreigners, including holders of work permits and long-term visas. Failure to register can result in substantial penalties.

[ Back to Menu ]

One Stop Visa Service

In response to feedback from investors, the Board of Investment organized the establishment of a one-stop service center for visas and work permits. Through joint cooperation with the Immigration Bureau and the Ministry of Labor, the center can process applications or renewals of visas and work permits.

Foreigners may also apply for permanent residence permits for Thailand under certain conditions, such as investment in a business or a condominium. Applications can either be made to the Board of Investment or the Immigration Department.

[ Back to Menu ]


Web site design by Web Site Design Thailand